Ali (radhiyallahu anhu) said:
“Words (of advice), if you were to ride the camel for them, you would tire it out before you reach the like of them:
* The servant should have hope in none except his Lord.
* He should fear nothing except his sins.
* The one who does not know should not be shy to learn.
* The Aalim should not be shy in saying, “Allah knows best”, when he is asked about what he does not know.
* And know that the position of Sabr (patience and perseverance) in respect to Imaan (faith) is like the position of the head in respect to the body. Thus, when the head goes the body goes, and (in the same way) when Sabr goes, Imaan goes.”
(Musannaf of Abu Shaybah)
ﺃﺑﻮ ﺧﺎﻟﺪ اﻷﺣﻤﺮ، ﻋﻦ، ﻋﻤﺮﻭ ﺑﻦ ﻗﻴﺲ، ﻋﻦ، ﺃﺑﻲ ﺇﺳﺤﺎﻕ، ﻗﺎﻝ: ﻗﺎﻝ ﻋﻠﻲ: ” اﻟﻜﻠﻤﺎﺕ ﻟﻮ ﺭﺣﻠﺘﻢ اﻟﻤﻄﻲ ﻓﻴﻬﻦ ﻷﻧﻀﻴﺘﻤﻮﻫﻦ ﻗﺒﻞ ﺃﻥ ﺗﺪﺭﻛﻮا ﻣﺜﻠﻬﻦ: ﻻ ﻳﺮﺝ ﻋﺒﺪ ﺇﻻ ﺭﺑﻪ , ﻭﻻ ﻳﺨﻒ ﺇﻻ ﺫﻧﺒﻪ , ﻭﻻ ﻳﺴﺘﺤﻴﻲ ﻣﻦ ﻻ ﻳﻌﻠﻢ ﺃﻥ ﻳﺘﻌﻠﻢ , ﻭﻻ ﻳﺴﺘﺤﻴﻲ ﻋﺎﻟﻢ ﺇﺫا ﺳﺌﻞ ﻋﻤﺎ ﻻ ﻳﻌﻠﻢ ﺃﻥ ﻳﻘﻮﻝ: اﻟﻠﻪ ﺃﻋﻠﻢ , ﻭاﻋﻠﻤﻮا ﺃﻥ ﻣﻨﺰﻟﺔ اﻟﺼﺒﺮ ﻣﻦ اﻹﻳﻤﺎﻥ ﻛﻤﻨﺰﻟﺔ اﻟﺮﺃﺱ ﻣﻦ اﻟﺠﺴﺪ , ﻓﺈﺫا ﺫﻫﺐ اﻟﺮﺃﺱ ﺫﻫﺐ اﻟﺠﺴﺪ , ﻭﺇﺫا ﺫﻫﺐ اﻟﺼﺒﺮ ﺫﻫﺐ اﻹﻳﻤﺎﻥ “